Panopticon's Changing Geography
I find this article on Panopticon’s very interesting. The use of these different devices for keeping track of people is essentially the same however technology has changed the way to monitor people. Samuel Bentham’s building was the first glimpse into the era of modern day electronic tracking. Even though his “house” was a stationary tracking model, it led the way to the cctv’s of ‘big brother’ and into Panopticon III of human tracking devices. Today both Panopticon II and III are promoted as a means of enhancing safety and security. What gets me however is now with Panopticon III, its “inspector” could be just about anyone and it is so cheap that anyone can track anyone. I like Benjamin Franklin’s quote, “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

1 Comments:
I worry what people are willing to trade for the sake of safety. I hope cooler heads will prevail and reread Benjamin Franklin for proof that cooler heads once existed.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home